This project is solving the Crop Alert – Learning From the Growers challenge. Description
- Assist farmers to better understand the weather condition and possible disease and infestation
- Provide an intelligent guess when farmers send What The Crop an image
- A dashboard that provides information for farmers to observe trends, possible infestation and recommended mitigations
How farmers can use this
Farmers can constantly send updates to WhatTheCrop! This acts as a diary for their crop health.
- Send an SMS to our number with the crop status, e.g. "strawberries, no pest, ready for harvest in a month"
- They will receive alerts on anomalous events, e.g. "Look out for blue beetles, particular on green leafs. Possible infestation spreading"
How this works
We use Twilio to handle all SMS related activities. The farmer texts our number with the status, this is handled by Twilio which calls our URL endpoint and the magic continues on our web servers hosted on BlueMix. We then clean the data and record them. When there are interesting events that we feel farmers should be notified of, e.g. extreme weather conditions, we trigger our alert system to warn the farmers.
License: NASA Open Source Agreement 1.3 (NASA-1.3)
Source Code/Project URL: https://github.com/spaceappsnyc/whatthecrop
What The Crop Logo - https://www.dropbox.com/s/89jv4uivo9jvb7j/LOGO.png?dl=0
Farmers to What The Crop - https://www.dropbox.com/s/02tzj8xvayub3v7/SCREEN1.jpg?dl=0
What The Crop to Farmers - https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdcrbdk7k0d6t3o/SCREEN2.jpg?dl=0
Sugarbeet information - http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r735300811.html
Rice information - http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r682300111.html