#outerspace, #cubecamsat, #advanced
Model, Platform, Hardware
Developments in cubesats are now pushing the concept into supporting deep space missions. This challenge builds on this and carries a cubesat, called CamSat (for the purposes of the challenge), on a hypothetical deep space planetary mission to Mercury. During certain mission phases, the mission team will encounter events of significant interest (either scientific or for general interest to the public) and will determine that a robotic imaging device could be launched to provide a visual imaging of the spacecraft. Your robotic CamSat will return to the host spacecraft for reuse. NASA’s SPHERES program on the International Space Station is envisioned for this very purpose.
Design and model a feasibility demonstrator of a nano-satellite (e.g. cubesat) that can orbit and take pictures of deep space spacecraft during events of interest, e.g. planetary flybys.Find creative ways to:
- Design a cubesat that hosts an imaging payload for recording events of interest for a deep space mission, e.g. separation events (release of landers), planetary flybys.
- Design and demonstrate (using a physical model or an animated model) a storage, release and docking mechanism to accommodate the CamSat during cruise which will allow the launch and retrieval of the satellite.
- Consider the storage and docking mechanism to allow your CamSat to be reused at later phases in the mission. The storage pod can include provisions for re-charging, or even re-fueling.
- Investigate the various designs and capabilities of CamSats. Consider on renewable power sources and actuators that could, in principle, be re-charged from the mothership, e.g. electric propulsion, reaction wheels, magnotorquers (also known as torque rod). The cubesat could use the minuscule magnetic field generated by the spacecraft as a means of actuation, or other novel actuators.
- What sensors are available to such a CamSat to ensure that it has the correct attitude for the payload operations?
- Identify imaging payloads that could be used during a deep space mission for imaging the spacecraft.
- Investigate how your CamSat can be stored during cruise, then launched/released and then subsequently recovered.
Sample Resources(Participants do not have to use these resources, and NASA in no way endorses any particular entity listed).
- https://project-open-data.cio.gov/schema - Provides a dictionary of existing metadata-fields in the popular data.json catalog that agencies use to prepare and upload
- International Space Station SPHERES-Zero-Robotics experiment: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/690.html
- NASA SPHERES program: http://www.nasa.gov/spheres
- NASA SPHERES Mission overview: http://www.nasa.gov/spheres
The following projects are solving this challenge:
[www.gosat.info](http://www.gosat.info) What's GoSat? ============ Gosat is a multifunctional microsatelite which aims to approach space misions to everyone. It’s not interesting to send a satellite only to take pictures, that is the reason why we created GoSat. GoSat allows us to not onl... Visit Project
Dipolar Asymmetric Magnetomotive Tractors.
Dipolar Asymmetric Magnetomotive Tractors are assembling into Asymmetric Magnetomotive Panels which will be utilized for vehicles serving on extraterrestrial missions. Once deployed within planetary, solar and interstellar magnetic fields - panels will operationally accelerate or decelerate ves... Visit Project
Our project aims to make a cube equipped with camera, a propulsion system and a solar panel to provide battery. The aim of this cube is to record events of interest for a deep space mission. Visit Project
Classified. Visit Project
Mission In Star Cam (MISC)
This project aims to design and model a feasibility demonstrator of a nano-satellite (e.g. cubesat) that can orbit and take pictures of deep space spacecraft during events of interest, e.g. planetary flybys. Visit Project
Create a conceptual design of a CrewSat System for deep space satellites that can carry it as payload. The objective would be to develop the satellite bus along with the deployment and docking services facility. Visit Project
A reusable camsat which allows scientist to have an image or a video from their space missions in HD. This camsat docks itself on the satellite, refuel and recharge itself and can be autonomous during it mission. It can be used to do planetary flyby and record satellites operations. Visit Project
MOXProject aims to provide a public service of Images of high resolution of any area of the Earth to Scientifics, Universities, Schools, Students and the public in general using open source technologies and top notch satellital technologies. This service is reachable from desktop computers, lapto... Visit Project
Radiation-Induced Soft Errors in Low-Cost Microcontroller Implementations For Space Research
A simple project that caught interest after hearing comments during the 2014 39th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves (IRMMW-THz). CubeSats were described using PIC based microcontrollers and one speaker said the use of such devices in low earth orbits really ... Visit Project
Cube D.A.E.S.A. (Deep Auxiliar Eyes in Space for Astronauts)
Outter space is a big challenge and danger, even at today's technology and security. The long distances and trips far away from our safe spot are way too difficult and risky to keep applying everytime a bit of data is needed. But another option is in our hands, and that is the CamSat. The prob... Visit Project
The ScanSat is a CubeSat that is docked with a Dragon-sized spacecraft. Utilizing magnetic and ion propulsion, it undocks and re-docks with the main craft autonomously. Equipped with a camera, it captures images of the spacecraft as it physically approaches interesting phenomena, as well as perfo... Visit Project
Aim: Our project aims to make a cube-sat equipped with high quality camera, attitude determination and control system to keep payload attitude and enable cube sat to maneuver, communication system with host spacecraft and powered by solar panels and back-up battery. The aim of that cube-sat... Visit Project
*** CompanionCube *** The aim of our project is to propose a straightforward, yet very effective CamSat propulsion, energy management and docking system. Its main features are: - Simple spacecraft docking infrastructure - Low mass, adheres to the CubeSat 1U standard - Very easy to ... Visit Project
![SelfieSat Logo](http://selfiesat.altervista.org/selfiesat_logo.jpg) Belonging to the category of the nanosatellites, SelfieSat has been conceived as a cubic satellite whose dimensions are 250x250x250 mm. However this has been thought about only as a first design, since the chosen dimensions ... Visit Project
You may not be familiar with the name Robert Cornelius, but you’ll undoubtedly know of the concept he pioneered back in 1839. Okay, the technology was a little different back then, but by taking the first ever photographic self-portrait, he inadvertently became the father of the “selfie”. Use ... Visit Project
The small satellite is designed for imaging mission, while it is noted that the system developed for docking and constellation flight can easily and effectively be adapted for other types of missions including high voltage power generation and cryogenic tools. Team members decided that 3u sats ... Visit Project
DeSCJOB: Deep Space Cam Joined Observation Bot
In order to successfully address the design challenges of a small satellite to orbit and take pictures of deep space spacecraft during events of interest, the Deep Space Cam Joined Observation Bot (DeSCJOB) was created. This versatile nano-satellite has been designed to be able to deploy from a l... Visit Project
Welcome to the collaborative hackpad! You can use this open document to collaborate with others, self organize, or share important data. Please keep in mind that this document is community created and any views, opinions, or links do not reflect an official position of the Space Apps Challenge, NASA, or any of our partners.
Building a team or looking for one to join? Feel free to create a Matchmaking section at the bottom of the document to help in gathering great minds together!